Flooding is a risk we all have to live with and can occur when the weather gets unpredictable. Sump pumps prevent massive water damage to your house by drawing water away from your home.
If you need sump pump installation or repair services in Ridgefield, WA, we can help. At Henco Plumbing Services, our team of qualified sump pump contractors can take care of all your installation, repair, or replacement needs.
Our technicians have the expertise to handle all types and brands of sump pumps for both residential and commercial properties.
Looking for a sump pump due to unexplained basement flooding? We also offer leak detection services and can help you sleuth out the source of the moisture.
Do You Need a Sump Pump?
Sump pumps are particularly indispensable if you live in a floodplain. However, every home with a basement or crawlspace can benefit from one. These systems require minimal maintenance unless a flood occurs and can protect your home from burst pipes, flooding, and more.
The cost of repairs from water damage can be colossal—far exceeding the cost of sump pump installation—and that doesn’t even include the health risks of mold and mildew.
What Are the Different Types of Sump Pumps?
There are three main types of sump pumps:
- Submersible sump pumps: These units have a waterproof motor placed into the sump pit, offering quieter operation.
- Pedestal sump pumps: These types locate their pump at the top of the sump basin, which allows technicians to access it quickly in case of a replacement or repair. A hollow pipe runs down to the bottom of the basin, where it pumps out the water via an impeller.
- Sewage septic pumps: These purpose-built sump pumps grind sewage waste into a fine slurry, which is then pumped upward into a septic tank system.
Sump pumps often undergo heavy use during and after storms. Be sure to have yours serviced to ensure continued proper function. If you choose Henco Plumbing Services, we can also check to be sure your pipes weren’t damaged and provide pipe repair services if necessary.
What Are the Most Common Sump Pump Problems?
Sump pumps, like any other equipment, are prone to failure. Some of the most common problems our experts attend to include:
- Power failure: In extreme weather like storms, power tends to go out. Without a battery backup system, the sump pump will go out along with the power. This failure welcomes floodwaters into your home or building.
- Underpowered pumps: If your sump pump is not powerful enough for the particular needs of your property, you must upgrade to one that is, or risk it burning out.
- Float valve malfunctions: It is vital to ensure that your float valve is free of any debris or obstructions to enable it to gauge water levels accurately, avoiding more severe problems later.
- Worn out pump motors: If the sump pump motor wears out, ensure that you get a replacement as soon as possible.
- Frozen or clogged discharge pipes: Discharge pipes must be clean and functioning to help prevent water buildup.